See what our customers have to say…
- Delicious! Great stop for lunch via boat. The grouper and chicken sandwiches were great. The seafood platter was excellent.loves2tan4/02/2023Fabulous We visited on a very busy, in season, Friday night. No tables were available but we were able to sit and wait. A server was quickly to us for our drink order. Upon getting a table we were quickly served and received hot, great food! Although prices are a little high for quantity of food, the food was prepared excellent. Will definitely return.jackye1063/04/2023Waitress recognized and hugged when we arrived - Josh was absolutely 💯 awesome - talented and personable❣️👍FANTASTIC EVENING🥳Judith Iverson2/25/2023We try to get here whenever we're in town, but it been a few yrs. Glad to see parking has opened up a bit, but the place is still small so get there early. I love the grilled grouper sandwich while the others prefer blackened. It's a good portion of fish. This time I had the sweet potato fries for a side. We also got to catch some entertainment, which helped round out the experience. It's an older crowd meaning 40s and up, but a cozy, casual and comfortable place to hang out.C W2/19/2023The Red Shrimp was fabulous. Music tonight, didn't catch the name, but got a picture. Parking: Get there early if you want to eat here.Linda Woodstrom2/10/2023I mean it. This was the best seafood meal I have had, in my life. EVER. Landed in Florida and this was our first stop. We sat in the sun and pigged out!!! Conch Fritters!!! Big reds!!! Server staff was extremely friendly too!!! The best coconut shrimp I have ever had!!!!Karen Beth2/01/2023Went there last night to hear Josh Quinn sing. He is an excellent musician and will be playing there every Friday in February. Go see him! He's amazing!!!! I had a couple of drinks and my husband and I split a cheeseburger and fries. The burger was outstanding! I would have ordered one of their many seafood dishes but I thought their prices were too steep. Like $24 for a grouper sandwich.
But the real reason to go there is to see Josh Quinn! He's off the charts amazing!!!!!!!Tami Korum1/29/2023Good Food, Nice Setting My friend and I had lunch at Cortez Kitchen on January 15, 2023. Right on the water in an actual working fishing village. Surrounded by real fishing boats. Nice setting with good food. We were there in the afternoon but there is entertainment some evenings.dianewH4963OY1/16/2023
- Christianne Gingerich12/29/2022I got a fried grouper sandwich with hush puppies. The sandwich was amazing, the hush puppies were moist & delicious. Vanessa was my server. She suggested this awesome sauce she loves to dip her hushpuppies in & made it special. This was to die for!!! What a fabulous server & super kind human being! I definitely will be back 🙂Sylvia Brauler12/05/2022I got a fried grouper sandwich with hush puppies. The sandwich was amazing, the hush puppies were moist & delicious. Vanessa was my server. She suggested this awesome sauce she loves to dip her hushpuppies in & made it special. This was to die for!!! What a fabulous server & super kind human being! I definitely will be back 🙂Sylvia Brauler11/24/2022One of my favorites!! Repeat customer! First started coming here on vacay as best seafood near AMI! Then moved close by, added bonus! Seafood is excellent- hint- they own a seafood market close by tooooo! Reasonable prices, not touristy, bands on the weekends. Liz is the best server!!!! A hidden gem if you can find it.Marlene W11/05/2022As every year our visit was brilliant. Service spot on. Food fresh and delicious Kid-friendliness: Lots of kids Parking: Plenty of parking right outside Wheelchair accessibility: Rampjj a11/05/2022Great service, atmosphere and food. Live music, fun crowd and a great outside deck/bar. Our waitress Kelly was excellent!Deb10/05/2022I don't care what you order at Cortez kitchen the food is absolutely wonderful. The best hamburger I have ever had anywhere and I've been many places for hamburgers. Is their seafood platter is fabulous. And their blackened Mai mai is superb.
Add to that great music on Friday Saturday and Sunday Cortez kitchen cannot be beat.Kay Luczak9/04/2022
- Jada J.8/05/2022Food was great. Entertainment excellent. The only drawback is that they allow smoking at this venue which is not acceptable for someone with COPD. Afraid we will not be returning.Diane Hofstetter8/05/2022Angel Harris-Crosland8/05/2022Best place in Cortez, best place in Sarasota/Longboat Key. Incredible Blackened Scallops and Shrimp. Also they have live music which is always great! A MUST GO TO PLACE!Strategic Life Coaching7/05/2022Gumbo is legit with a really nice kick. Our host Vannessa was very attentive and suggested getting grouper bites which were excellent, lightly fried, not salty, we got them without the buffalo sauce. Please support this local business! Located in the very few remaining fishermen villages in FL where the fourth generation is fishermen continue the family tradition.Irina Sandler6/05/2022Good food good wait staff and the band that was playing on Sunday was excellent very enjoyable time.Fred Witmann6/05/2022Had a wonderful time. The seafood combo must be very good. It contains grouper, shrimp and scallops, cooked perfectly.Patty Mulherin5/05/2022Buffalo grouper sandwich, Buffalo grouper bites, soft shell crab sandwich, grouper Reubens are all incredible. The sandwiches are massive and delicious. Amazing place to stop on vacation we come by 2-3 times a week when we stay on AMI. don't miss this spot!!Dj Powis25/05/2022
- Fresh fish and seafood. Excellent value for the money! Husband had the fish and chips while I had the shrimp basket! Delicious!!!Terry A.4/23/2022It's one of our favorite places to go, great boiled shrimp and ice cold beers sometimes tough to find a seat on the deck but everything else is great, I highly recommend this restaurant if you liked a laid back easy atmosphere.Shelly Kates4/09/2022Awesome little restaurant next to a fishing village. The staff are very friendly and the food was great. Beers were cold and went down fast. Can't beat it.Scott S.3/18/2022Great Recommendation A friend recommended this place. I'm glad we took him up on the suggestion. The bar is on the Cortez marina; very laid back. Food portions were delicious and generous. The wait staff was very friendly. Best seafood so far.Frances G2/10/2022We haven't been here for a while & today we had the best food here ever. We came at 3 pm, no wait for food as good as any in Cortez. I especially loved the oyster basket, was pleasantly surprised it was every bit as good as my usual favorite place!Diane W.2/10/2022Good food, like always! Good rum runner, too!! Service was great. A little spotty on COVID safety (not all wait staff wears face coverings).Nina-Jo Moore2/05/2022Great place to grab some good food. Service was great, Elizabeth took care of us and food was awesome. Great vibe with live music, will return again.Chris R2/05/2022Holy smokes! Make sure to order the soft shell crab sandwich, it will make your day five million times better!Angela Nelson2/05/2022Absolutely Love this place. The grouper sandwich was never ending. Old florida (down to Earth) feel. The service was great. If you are looking for the touristy places this isn't for you. If your thirsty for a cold beer, good food and real people. Definitely stop by The Cortez kitchen.Ingrid Balunek2/05/2022
- We had a super friendly server. The place looks like a bar/restaurant, but had really good seafood. Nothing fancy, but my scallops and my wife's grouper were cooked perfectly. We sat outside on a deck in a marina setting.Erik McKibben2/05/2022This place never disappoints! The live music is always awesome especially when TC and Randy are playing. The food is delicious, the beer is cold, service is excellent! It's busy for a reason, the place is great!Niki Bradshaw-Cole2/05/2022BEST Local Seafood! Fantastic blacken grouper was BY FAR the freshest! Served with slaw and hush puppies too, With extremely friendly, sincere, as well knowledgeable service by Elizabeth. Highly recommend!!! Definitely worth a visit! E.J.Babcia Jung (The Cool Grandma)2/05/2022Nice surprise Stopped in for lunch was was surprised at how good it was. Lisa was our server and was most accommodating and delightful. I had grouper rueben, which was delicious; husband had red royal shrimp which were to die for. Prices were a bit steep but were finding that everywhere e we go these days.juneymoon121/19/2022This is a nice spot , if ur lookin for a dockside -cum-old Florida dinning experience. Very rustic with water foul snug up against the picnic tables and seating , amongst the boats and dock. Mostly covered some el fresco tables.
LoVE the "Royal Reds " they often have in season ,
grilled and served with drawn butter - succulent!
Full bar , they make a nice top - shelf margarita or a bud , whatever ur taste.
Live entertainment in the eves , and just a funky/ fun place to go or to bring visitors.Vince S.12/24/2021Great appetizers and service!! We went to the Stone Crab Festival today, and instead of eating there, we stopped in to the Cortez Kitchen. We each had a margarita (Boozy, very good). We then shared Buffalo Grouper bites and Fried Mushrooms. The mushrooms were delicious, fried perfectly and juicy, the Grouper bites were amazing. Tender, with a perfect golden crust, a little heat, and what I believe was a house made Bleu Cheese dressing…so good!! Our server was friendly, food was fast, we will go back!!Swth20s11/13/2021Fast service. Food came out quickly. The beer was fresh and cold. Classic local dive vibe. Friendly waitstaff.Jr P.10/26/2021
- Highly recommend! Cortez Kitchen is a yummy and efficient restaurant! When we arrived, there was no wait and as soon as we sat we were greeted. They had very cheap and cold beers! As an appetizer, we ordered the Buffalo grouper bites which came out quickly and were very tasty! For the entrees, I ordered the broiled shrimp, okra and fries and my boyfriend ordered the lightly blackened mahi with the vegetables and coleslaw. Both entrees were delicious! It’s located right on the canal and had a good atmosphere!courtneyk8537/02/2021When you come to the restaurant, it is a self seating place so seat yourself wherever there is a table available. The waitress immediately noticed us and gave us a menu right away even though the place was really packed ! Great and fast service! The food was just amazing as the service! I got the red royal shrimp special for the day with sweet potato fries and mac m cheese ! I love the freshness and sweetness of the shrimp. Pairing it with the decadent mac n cheese was such a great combo. The clams were also delicious! We also ordered a brownie sundae and it definitely hits the sweet spot and cravings! Definitely would come back again!Jenny K.6/28/2021The best royal red shrimp and cheeseburgers in town. You can't go wrong with anything on the menu. All made to order and all so tasty!! We will continue to come here for years to come.Ally G.4/13/2021Went during height of spring break but we got an outdoor spot right away. Our server was very nice and efficient. It appeared the restaurant was under staffed. I ordered the blackened grouper. It was my first time trying this fish. It was delicious but expensive. The place is pet friendly and my dog was provided water. I really enjoyed the location and watching the pelicans waddle around inside the warehouse next door. A Sandhill crane was also trotting around. All n all a good spot for food, friendly service and great bird watching. If I am in the area again I would return here.Laura M.3/20/2021We stopped at this place on a Saturday night but could not get a table due to the great live music. We decided to stop by on Sunday for lunch and we were glad we did. We enjoyed the shrimp, scallops, soft shell crab sandwich, and Mahi sandwich. All seafood cooked well and the price well. Service was excellent and we enjoyed all the pelicans hanging around.Becky N.2/07/2021Friendly waterfront vibe. Good food. Had the Red Palm shrimp. Excellent. Asked afterward, “so are these local?” Nahh, they come from Argentina. Little sad about that. Glad to have found this spot. Unassuming. Right on a working dock.Stephen Kriss2/05/2021Whenever we have out of state visitors, The Cortez Kitchen is the 1st restaurant we take them for, what's left, of a bit of "old Florida" and for the great bands on the weekends. We went on Friday night, 11/06/20, and this fantastic band, Messenger, was playing a lot of '70's & '80's music, plus more. We really loved that band...brought back memories! The atmosphere is laid back, but fun and lively. It's on the bay & open all around...some under roof and some not. There was a wonderful breeze that night and everyone, in our group, enjoyed the 3 cute kids by us, about as much as the band.😅. This place is a Must to take your visitors, but it's, also,1 of our favorite places to go all year round!Linda Scott (Lin or Lindy)2/05/2021Excellent food, service and atmosphere. I'm told that this is one of the places that the locals frequent. In the historic fishing village of Cortez!Joel Lewis2/05/2021This little place is a mainstay in my family. It is always friendly with some of the best seafood around. The favorites in our house are grilled shimp, grilled grouper, blackened mahi, and the peel and eat shrimp. We have had more off the menu, but those are the items we go back for over and over.
When you are looking for an 'old florida' setting with genuine people and killer fresh seafood, this is the place you want to be.Sara W.1/19/2021
- Excellent Blackened Grouper Sandwich well done Fries! Cold Beer ! Great old Florida vibe ! Locals eat here ! Yum ! Excellent service too !Jamie G.1/02/2021Water views and great service! We enjoyed our evening out with friends with good service from Cindy. She was working alone with many tables and still did a great job. Super recommendation on the shrimp!!! Can't wait to return.John D11/10/2020Superb service and great food! My wife and I enjoyed our dinner at this nice little restaurant that is off the beaten path. It sits right on the bay. During our 9 day visit I have been trying to find the best Scallops and theirs are very good!
Great food + great service = great time!!!Jason T9/24/2020BEST peel and eat! We like to stop in the "Kitchen" for a nice cold beer and peel and eat shrimp. This is a great local place with always friendly staff and cold beer!reneemZ2958ZW9/20/2020Best seafood platter so far in Cortez Village and we go to all the restaurants as well as on island. Gave a 4 because the social distancing was not very good and some staff did not wear masks. But it was outdoor seating so we felt ok and glad we stayed. Great cheese grits too!Lisa S.7/27/2020We liked this Place better than Star Fish Co. Right on the water with lots of room and shade. We ordered blackened shrimp with hush puppies and cheese grits. This was very good. A fried Mahi sandwich with sweet potato fries and a couple beers made for a good lunch.RXT7776/14/2020This place has a very laid back vibe to it. Being on the water the view is very pretty and relaxing, especially on nights when the have bands perform. It is outside seating only but with the ocean breeze it feels night (especially at sunset). The bands are always good and the staff is very kind. The food and drinks are enjoyable, very worth it to visit with all these factors combined.Kaitlin R.3/29/2020Delightful evening at Cortez Kitchen Following a bad experience with the hostess at Swordfish Grill after a 35-minute wait, we were not in a good mood when we walked next door to Cortez Kitchen. But we had a great time, thanks to the friendly waitress Shannon and some amazing seafood. One of the specials was grilled red shrimp, which Shannon said are from Argentina. Although we like to support locally caught seafood whenever possible, we ordered the red shrimp as an appetizer and they were so tasty I ordered them as my main course too. The main course comes with two sides ($21.99; I can’t remember appetizer price). Served with melted butter, they taste like mini-lobsters. The Steamer Pot of shrimp, scallops, clams, grouper, broccoli, and celery ($21.99) and steamed clams ($11.99) were delicious. We love the hole-in-the-wall atmosphere in a covered outdoor setting. It reminds me of what makes Anna Maria Island special. Thanks to the staff at Cortez Kitchen for rescuing our disastrous evening and making it special.624cliffordp3/12/2020The reviews on Cortez Kitchen seem to be all over the place. Some call it a dive bar and while it kind of appears that way, the menu is expansive and experimental. The prices also aren't very dive bar-ish, but they are pretty normal for the area.
If you want something new, the Buffalo Grouper Sandwich is something I never knew I needed. I passed up the Reuben for that and was not disappointed. While I like trying new things, I'll probably have to get that again on my next visit. Most of the offerings are fried fish and such (we had gator tail and hushpuppies), but they also have sushi, which I did not try. I visited on a colder night so didn't get the true vibe, but it's an open-air spot in the bay, so not sure how people can complain about that.Adam J.3/05/2020
- I went to this place with my wife and son for lunch. 12pm. It was pretty good. We enjoyed it. The view is nothing special. It's in a bit of an industrial area. That being said, the food was pretty good. Mozzarella sticks were good but the dipping sauce was cold. But overall I would say it was decent. We had grouper sangwiches. I would go back but I wouldn't rush to get back. Knam sayn? At least it's not on the island so we avoided those crowds.Robert P.2/25/2020Michael P.2/22/2020Great food n menu0 We ate at the Cortez Kitchen on Monday evening. They had a good band playing, who were very good.
Enjoyed the food and music.Sandra S2/11/2020Good food, music Great atmosphere. So close to fish docks the fish are practically jumping into the skillet or on the grill. Great "real Florida" seafood. I would enthusiastically recommend this restaurant "joint" to friends and family!FloGrownTC2/11/2020Fresh as it gets - seafood! My wife and I love going here to Cortez Kitchen for the fresh seafood. We have been going here for many years and never disappointed. I love the scallops and ask for them blackened. Really very good and we also like the fried shrimp, delicious enough that I also eat the tails on the shrimp, that good. This is our go to spot when we arrive Florida and are looking for the real fresh seafood...Hard to beat this place as everything is very tasty! Very open, on the water and very relaxing atmosphere, Florida at it's best!Jepster1/27/2020Great dinner - Service was not so great .... I hate to bag on bad service, but they must have been short-staffed for a Friday night because our poor server was running around like a crazy person but we waited for multiple things (ranch, refills, the check) for far too long. People standing around waiting for our table since it was a packed house but we were waiting on our check.. That being said, the food was fabulous!! Royal Reds any time I can get them - if you like shell fish, YOU MUST HAVE THESE!! My husband had a burger, said it was greasy through the bun but tasted good... Good thing we were catching up with family we haven't seen in a while or the service would have been really buggy...kkimball731/18/2020
- Great find! Quaint Waterfront restaurant, fresh seafood, large portions, reasonable prices. Best seafood I’ve eaten in a very long time. Staff was very friendly.loveysgirl1/12/2020Great dive bar! If you are looking for fancy food don't bother, if you want amazing food with awesome atmosphere then this is for you. Bands are too loud, only criticismBill S.12/31/2019Wonderful lunch Fresh fish sandwich and a side, in this case onion rings and for me an order of tuna roll. Very fresh. Mixed drinks were $3.50. the band was setting up to play. A lovely Sunday afternoon.Minkster5612/29/2019Stone crab claws! Get the dinner with seven mediums and two sides. Funky place with music on the weekends. Still weird with smoking allowed13ChrisM1311/21/2019Old Florida at its best The place the locals go for good food and excellent entertainment. Our server was exceptional and her meal suggestion was right on target. Our group enjoyed the evening. Thanks Cindy for all the help.msistlrf11/07/2019Grouper sandwich to die for... Had a chance to revisit an old eatery that has been serving Real Grouper sandwichs for at least the past 20+ yrs... And the steamed broccoli with garlic "secret sauce" as a side item with the Fried, Blackened or Grilled Grouper is a true Florida Lunch or Dinner that can not be beat... Check it out for a good time with the Full Bar (including Tampa's Cigar City brewery crafted beers, plus some of the newer libations now being brewed in SRQ)...And don't forget to stop by the Florida Maritime museum which is a very short walk from the old time Cracker style eatery..hotfoods5411/06/2019Royal Red Shrimp!!! These shrimp are not just huge they taste more like lobster than shrimp. The texture is like lobster claw!!! I heard about them but was happily surprised that it's all true. Amazing food there.Theresa M10/26/2019Funky, Local, Old Florida, Delightful If you want a super fancy big menu in deluxe surroundings, don't go here. But if you like a funky sort of place that's been keeping people happy - a lot of local people and visitors too - for many years, one with a lively bar, music on occasion, outside-inside setting right by the water, and one where you will see some really interesting people - types you may never see that often, well, try this place. It's been one of our favorites for years. We keep going back. Oh yes. The food is good too.SanFranciscoGuy6349/26/2019Great outdoor restaurant/bar on the waterfront where casual is not only the norm but highly recommended.
Menu is seafood based but there are other items such as prime rib, burgers, and chicken.
We visited restaurant for lunch and had a blackened Reuben grouper sandwich, a soft shell crab sandwich, sweet potato fries, cole slaw and finished it off with delicious key lime pie!!
Great staff. Easy parkingBob S.8/21/2019
- Good vibe at cortez kitchen Very enjoyable evening nice food friendly good service enjoyed the music great open restaurant at the waters edge boat yardtimegginton8/10/2019Food, entertainment, service all great! My family and I stopped by on a weekday evening. The service was prompt and friendly. All the dishes we ordered were very good....fried shrimp, fried oysters, fries, coleslaw, fresh fruit . The only small complaint was the grouper bites were slightly under cooked. The live entertainment was very good also.gr20707/25/2019Nice place with fresh seafood plus good customer service, can't wait to come back. Grilled grouper was perfectMonika M.7/13/2019Just Love Cortez Kitchen! For a hidden gem, with great views and true history, go here! We go several times a year and are really not disappointed. Food is sometimes hit or miss and the prices are higher but overall, a great place to hang outside and enjoy the ambiance! Drinks are cold and STRONG....Prefer beer in bottle than draft, as it gets warm to quick. I tried the Cabo Rita and it was fabulous...9.00 but huge drink and soooooo tasty! Our meal was grouper bites and hushpuppies with fried oysters......Very good!markandmichelefenter7/10/2019Fresh Seafood! Amazing Grouper and boiled Shrimp platters! Best fresh seafood around!!! The atmosphere is perfect if you are looking for a hidden old Florida Gem!KRH32857/08/2019A total dive — perfect for us! If you don’t love a local dive, this isn’t your place. But if you don’t mind outdoor seating at a local bar, this is a must. Loved the food—fish and chips, grouper sandwich, magi sandwich, wings. Our family really liked it. It’s not classy—but it is great! Would definitely go back. They have live music sometimes, too, but no band when we were there.778amyf6/29/2019Live music, dancing in old Florida Located in the Cortez fishing village. Fun music in the afternoon. Pulled up in the boat, joined people on a picnic table and enjoyed the band. Very laid back. People started dancing. We also saw the nice catch that a charter brought in.T5946KIjuliew4/13/2019Great food & music First time going to this little hole-in-the-wall restaurant, on the marina, great music by 2 guitar players good music and tasty shrimp and scallops. Such a laid-back atmosphere. We just moved to Bradenton to miles from this restaurant can't wait to be a regularkendo1034/13/2019HOT Shrimp After swimming all day long, it was Fantastic finding Cortez Kitchen and enjoying your One Pound of peel n eat shrimp - which thanks to LINDSAY - got them HOT for us. Not to mention the delicious Clam chouder and Beer Pitcher. Yiu made my last day in florida. Next time I come down I'll definitely pop in for more good food and great service!Jinenkan S4/06/2019
- Family Lunch Truly amazing food. It was harder to get a table for a party of 7 but the staff was very creative and got us ALL together.burgerclan4/02/2019Topnotch food, atmosphere and service! Great find! Lunch here with a friend. Shared the seafood platter - more than enough for both of us. Great scallops, stuffed crab, shrimp, fish.
The service was fast and the music was fabulous.
What a great atmosphere, right on the water - quirky place.
Can't wait to go back next year.cowgirlb3/31/2019Really good and fresh food!! Stopped in for a causal lunch and everything was so tasty!! Nice clam chowder - full of clams, blackened grouper sandwich, coconut shrimp and buffalo grouper bits were all great!! The 3 of us split a piece of key lime pie - nice and tart. Good value and so fresh. Super casual, and a friendly and accomodating waitress.shadowasher1233/28/2019Yummy Lunch Stopped for lunch today and had the buffalo groupper bites. They were wonderful. Love the laid back atmosphere.900diannag3/21/2019Old school Florida joint Great stop for lunch. Uber casual diner/tavern on the Cortez fishing wharf. Service is slow but you're here for the fresh fish. We highly recommend the grilled red shrimp. Ask for plenty of napkins. Juicy, succulent, and messy. Dive right in!ksmms3/13/2019Wow! This place is so very awesome! Everyone we visit my husbands relatives in Bradenton, when they ask me where we want to eat we always say Cortez Kitchen! This place is right on the water. You're surrounded by fishing boats. I love Grouper. I have had grouper at many places in Florida from Ft Myers Beach to Cortez. Hands down Cortez Kitchen makes the most delicious grouper anywhere. I prefer it blackened but all the ways of preparing it are perfect. They also gave excellent peel and eat shrimp! Tons of yummy fresh seafood here! They have a variety of other menu items as well. They also have very good live entertainment on the weekends. Such an awesome place. Make sure to check them out if your around the Sarasota Anna Maria Island Bradenton area. This place is worth the trip!Kimberly H.3/12/2019Great food and service We loved this place. Ample portions and great service by Leann. We love grouper and couldn’t believe how perfectly pokes the fish was and the size of the sandwiches. Will return for sure when we come back next year !!!!MarkM363643/03/2019Great price great food Second time here and will keep coming back! Stopped for lunch and had the scallops which were cooked to perfection! Great service and got to see the fishing boats come in with their catches and so did the pelicans.633marlenew3/02/2019
- The Best Seafood and Cheese Grits EVER!! Located in the old fishing town of Cortez and near a dry dock for boats...nothing fancy about the establishment BUT the BEST food ever! The chef could be working at a high end restaurant as the seafood was cooked to perfection, the cheese grits were unbelievable, the grouper was fresh, the oysters breaded lightly and fried just right. We went there two times and if ever again in that area, will definitely eat there again!!Oreo0012/07/2019Love this place. it's a bit off the road and set in a marina. We had gator tail that was great and excellent spicy grouper sandwich. Nice band and open air seating. Kind of local hangout. Try to come every time I'm in the area.Jackie McCarthy2/05/2019Service was excellent. Seafood in the steam pot was all very fresh with great texture. Could have been a little more flavorful but still an excellent meal.Jim Bennett2/05/2019Vacation Absolutely awesome restaurant. Great food and the best New England Clam Chowder I have ever tasted. Fun atmosphere on the water. The town of Cortez is a gem too.Jctraughber1/26/2019Geat local talent and food. My husband and I had a blast here. Singing and dancing with the locals. Food was good and reasonably priced. They were very busy and service was okay.shugruee1/03/2019Funky and fun! Go for the casual almost rustic ambience rather than the food. The food is good, but not exceptional. Friendly service and we go frequently so some of the waitresses know us. I like the steamed clams, the spicy shrimp roll, and the macho sandwich in particular. And, of course, the broccoli, which for 14 years has been the veggie du hour!Bi-coaster12/27/2018Great food, eclectic atmosphere This is not a fancy place, but you must come here. The food could not be fresher, they often have bands, you are outdoors, lots of parking, right on the water, it is delicious, what more could you ask for.Minkster5612/09/2018Great Service We had a group of 12 on Friday night with Kettle of Fish playing, and the service with our waitress Amanda, was outstanding. She was very friendly and always there when we needed her. Chris the bartender is wonderful also, makes great rum runners, always with a smile. The food was very good. Thanks to Amanda for a fun evening.Lori C10/27/2018
- Good Choice Being a native to the area, there are still places I have not been. This was one, decided to go, it was a nice night out, was busy, but service was still prompt and friendly. Food was good, server suggested the royal red shrimp, had it as an appetizer and it was excellent! Walked along the dock to see the beautiful sunset and orange sky! Live entertainment was fun to hear!Mangzz10/26/2018Delicious This was an open air restaurant on the bay. The scallops were by far some of the best I have. had. I ordered grilled scallops prepared to perfection. The waitress recommended blacken scallops the next time we go to the restaurant. Another person at our table had steamed clams. The broth the clams were steamed in was the most developed sauce I've tasted in awhile. Nothing fancy about this place. On Saturday night there was live music and there many people dancing. Everyone at the table agreed the scallops and steamed clams were some of the best we've had. Would recommend this restaurant if you are in the areaJo9191010/10/2018Live Music Wow for some great live music, great food with an outdoor vibe, this is the place to go. #Terry Helmjharristitle8/16/2018All seating is outside All seating is outside. 2/3 of it is under cover. The rest is at picnic tables with umbrellas. By a small inlet of water, not the best views. Great live music and the best thing is the food!! Seafood, chicken and burgers. We had 17 at the table and none of us had a bad meal!ShellyFmom8/12/2018Good, but mostly a bar Food was pretty good, but this place is mostly a bar. Drinks are cheap, crazy cheap, but served cold and not watered down. Put off to us with the smoking. Burgers are big and the seafood is fresh. Compliments to the chef for serving pretty good food in a bar setting.SOKYFARMER7/21/2018Great food The food is great. I have been here before, and again the food and service was excellent. My only tiny complaint is that the music is so loud, you can't talk to your fellow diners.72Sharon19547/02/2018Eat great seafood in a casual setting with friendly service. This place is popular with locals and visitors alike. You can come in your swimsuit, or dress up a bit. Always friendly staff and good service. We like the live music and tasty local seafood. Lots of parking. I think that you may be able to even ride your boat up to it too. It's a great place to socialize with friends. It feels like home every time we visit.764miltonc6/11/2018Fresh off the boat seafood!
Local joint just off the bridge from Anna Maria island to Bradenton that's tucked away off the beaten path. Mainly a locals place as it was 10 steps from the Cortez fish and bait co dock (Cortez fish and bait co just moved 2 docks down this year)
I've never had a bad meal here and only gave 4 (well deserving of a 4.5) stars as the beer menu is lack luster, mainly the big 3 and their light versions.
I met the hubby there and found myself welcomed with a pound of peel and eat shrimp.
Plump, crisp to bite and deveined they were a perfect start to a casual lunch.
Eyes bigger than our head and enjoying the views, we opted to share the grouper platter. Blackened with hush puppies and okra wasn't our healthiest choice but oh my god!
The huge portion of perfectly cooked fish accompanied by thinly cornmeal battered crunchy (not mushy or slimy) okra and onion and scallion filled hushpuppies were filling yet not at all greasy.
We lingered longer (those views) and I opted for the "salty mule" to sip on. Titos and fresh grapefruit with a salt rim. Simple, tart and refreshing compared to the usually over sweet margaritas.
We idled and watch the fishing and private charters dick, unload and prep their daily catch.
Island music lulled in the background as I worked on my tan and took it all in.Kimberly B.6/08/2018Great food and strong drinks help make a restaurant, along with great service. I was here on a not busy Saturday lunch and the server was a little slow. We waited a solid 5 minutes before our drink order wa taken and another 5 or 10 before our meal order was taken. After I rejected the offer of a second Blue Hawaiian, (I would have liked water) she sailed away to not be heard from until lunch was done and we needed a check. The food was delicious, I had buffalo grouper, it was a sizable piece of fish and super fresh and delicious. While the service wasn't great, this meal did not disappoint. We'll likely be back, it's a cute place with good food on the water.Kimberly P.6/04/2018
- Great food and atmosphere. We walked right in and the waitress was right there taking our drink order. Food came out quickly and correct.Tracy R.5/31/2018Relaxing, informal dockside late afternoon eating delight. Second visit here by my family but memorable first for me. Compliments to the Chef for our enjoyment of your fish preparation.
I am anxious to reurn and try a few oher seafood iems.John S5/25/2018Funky place Yes, this is a funky little place with very little parking but it is worth a visit. Blackend grouper was very tasty and you can pick two sides to go with the fish. Drinks are not over priced and there is just something fun about eating here.capecodkaren0094/23/2018Went here for the first time tonight, they had live music which was great . Our waitress Lindsey recommended the Royal Red Shrimps as a appetizer, if you like lobster you will love these . We also had the grilled grouper sandwich and fried oysters and little neck clams . It does not get any fresher than this place ! A must when you go to AMIJason N.4/20/2018A great place. Very interesting place. Picnic tables above the water in the open space. You order food, pay and waitress brings you food in a nice box. The food is very fresh and tasty. There is a fish shop next to it. I recommend this place.KrysiaK4/16/2018Very interesting place. Picnic tables above the water in the open space. You order food, you pay and waitress brings you food in a nice box. The food is very fresh and tasty. There is a fish shop next to it. I recommend this place. A great place.Krysia K.4/16/2018Best Freaking Fish I think I've ever had in a restaurant. Grouper fried, grilled it doesn't matter get it. This is the best. Place is a little loud when band is playing but I would sit in the rain to eat this food. Service was good and prices fair. I hate to even review this place as I don't want it too get to crowded for me next time but had to rave about the fish as not only is it fresh, the cooks got it just right; wow.rayboy4/11/2018Super!!! The food is awesome!!! It is a busy place and can sometimes take a while to get your food, but it is well worth the wait!!!!kschwartz20174/02/2018
- Lunch-dinner We met friends here and we had the best grouper sandwiches on this trip. They also have a full bar which is a little unusual. Most places like this only have beer and wine. The service and atmosphere were just what we look for in Florida along the water.eileenmf3/26/2018The feel of old Florida We totally adore Cortez Kitchen! It really has the feel of the old Florida we all know and love. Nothing dated about the food and drinks. We love the Lobster Bisque. Actually, we pretty much love everything there. We go every time we are in Florida and will continue to do so. We hope Cortez never changes!maryaP252AB3/22/2018Joe H.3/22/2018Stopped here for lunch on a Saturday. It's located next to fishing boats on the water, so the seafood was fresh. I got the buffalo grouper and my husband the popcorn shrimp basket. Both were excellent choices, we would definitely return if in this area again.Sherri R.3/10/2018Authentic Local Vibe The food was excellent. We had grouper and coconut shrimp. Local band was playing. Laid back atmosphere with open dining.Kristy S3/04/2018GREAT NEIGHBOR HOOD RESTAURANT Friendly place to visit, happy hour prices are great, staff is friendly and helpful. This restaurant is located in Cortez Village which is a fishing village so you know that any fish or seafood you order is as fresh as it gets, the prices are reasonable. On weekends there is live entertainment from local bands which adds to the dining experience. We will definitely be going back when we next visit Bradenton.VikingMontreal2/21/2018Italiana I had lunch there today and was very pleased with the food and the service. There were a lot of people there and all seemed to enjoy themselves. It is pet friendly.ZeebruggeExplorer2/19/2018Great seafood, pleasant atmosphere. Live music most weekends. On the water. They serve most beers and drinks. By the fishing station in Cortez village.Kermit M.2/15/2018Laid back atmosphere with great food. The atmosphere was laid back and outside with a covered roof. We had a grouper sandwich , mahi and scallops dinners. They were all so yummy. This place has a happy hour 4-6 too. We found out that this place and The Swordfish Grill next door is owned by the person just managed separately. Check out the Cortez Kitchen first!Sandy N2/14/2018
- We always try to eat here at least once when we spend a week or two in Bradenton and Annamaria Island. It is a local place more informal and lower price than the sword fish which is right next-door. Both restaurants are right on the water where the fishing boats come in in the morning. I would definitely recommend the fish except on Saturday nights when they also have steaks. I would recommend trying your fish fried because they do a great job with a light batter and serve it piping hot. All the fish was caught that morning. I am especially partial to their softshell crab sandwich. Served on a bun with a great homemade Cajun sauce.Bob B.2/06/2018Good fresh fish Good place for partying and getting fresh florida fish. Local, honest and funny. Remember, florida is for fish not buffet pizza from czech people.The-great-LondonAnne1/26/2018Low key and more of a locals place than the other couple restaurants nearby. The buffalo grouper nuggests are simply fantastic. Partner them with the hush puppies and a rum drink. Bartenders are always very personable.
They officially don't allow dogs but I've seen a few well behaved ones there.Matt J.1/26/2018cindy the best and great food Was hesitant after seeing a few bad reviews. Server Cindy was terrific. Six of us all had something different and all very pleased with selection: grilled grouper, raw oysters, fried oysters, dinner salad with grilled chicken, pink shrimp dinner and for me the pink shrimp appetizer...8 very large grilled in shell shrimp with drawn butter for dipping. Everything superb. Started with cream cheese poppers and conch fritters, also excellent. The singers, 5 minus 3 gave us perfect music for sing along and a jig around the floor.millers19481/22/2018Dining with the fishermen This funky little restaurant is a great place to come in good weather, but you are basically sitting outside so avoid it on a cold day. It is fun to sit here and watch the boats come in and crates of seafood being moved about. You feel you are part of a fisherman's life. We had the fried shrimp this visit. Our sides included good grits with cheese, yummy fried okra and a mediocre dish of macaroni and cheese. Happy hour here is a hit with the locals, who all arrive at 4 p.m. to partake of beer, wine and well drinks. This place is Old Florida at its best.Cheryl A1/14/2018Better than we expected We decided to try this place again, as we hadn't been here in a few years, (not because it was a horrible experience the 1st time, it was because we never thought about it). Anyway, I got the stuffed blue crab shells and my husband got a steamer meal. And they both were amazingly delicious. Best stuff crab shell I ever had. My husband was almost upset that he was too full to continue eating. Give this place a shot. It's pretty much an outdoor restaurant but has tarps they pull down when it's chilly. I can not wait to go back now and eat more stuffed crab shells....Benannie1/01/2018Excellent! Great seafood and cool atmosphere. A big menu but I always get the grouper sandwich. It can get busy during season!Megan94112/30/2017This is a neighborhood hang out full of locals and fun loving people. Come for the music and stay to dance the night away. Food is just so so unless you're there for the steaks on Saturday night! Raw bar choices offer you a little extra you don't find at other places in the area.Deby C.11/12/2017Casual, laid back outdoor dining. Fans blowing with mist and shade off the docks made for a nice lunch. Nancy made an excellent bloody mary and both servers were attentive. We had two kinds of peel and eat shrimp, the standard cold (nice and big) and the grilled Royal Red (even bigger), both were very fresh, some of the best we've had in the area. Burger was juicy and sweet potato fries were hot and crisp (try with honey mustard!). I am looking forward to visiting again and trying more options from the menu. Everything seems prepared fresh. I would assume this is the source of complaint from those saying they've had long waits. We came on a less crowded day and had no problems, but I would think it would be worth it, even on a crowded day.Stephanie N.10/12/2017
- The music tonight definitely added to the ambiance... basic outdoor bar with expensive seafood choices that would be just tasty enough for the chef not to be sent home on Master Chef. Prices are on the more expensive side for the type of place it positions itself to be, but when the band is right it makes up for it. Waitress was very good but split between the two areas of the place, so she wasn't always coming through with extras asked for... but couldn't blame her for running back and forth that things would slip through the cracks.Tobias B.8/11/2017Food was great not very kid friendly for dinner. No lids for cups. Service was really slow that is why it isn't 5 stars. Food was greatAnthony P.3/28/2017Nice place to go for a drink and some apps! It isn't very fancy so don't worry about dressing up. The tables are right by the water with a great view.
We got some drinks and ...
- A pound of the peel and eat shrimp: tasted great and were a good size.
- Hush puppies : pretty good! They came alone with no dressing- so if you want something to dip them in make sure you ask.
- Mild wings: surprisingly good! These even passed the taste test from my brother that lives in Buffalo NY (where Buffalo wings were founded)Haylee M.3/21/2017If you love the feel of casual, port side dining, this is the place. They have pink shrimp on the menu which is a delicious, creamy tasting shrimp. Comes close to a lobster flavor. They have a happy hour with beer and wine specials and a very friendly staff. Take a walk around the docks when the fishing boats are coming in and enjoy the fantastic sunset!Cyndi V.1/17/2017Had the royal red shrimp meal, a skewer of eight big ones, fresh off the boat with drawn butter, very tasty. The fries could have been hotter but the rings were good. Staff very friendly. Heads up this is a smoking allowed establishment so if you don't partake you may want to sit on the sidelines of the dock, yes outside dining.Marcel B.1/14/2017Fun happy hour. $2 coronas and wells. &7.50 terriaki wings. Food was fresh and fun. Service was great. Fresh grouper sandwiches. Soft shell crab.Kathy K.12/30/2016Dropped in for some late lunch. Was surprised to see a performer playing guitar and singing. He was OK - mostly 70's & 80's rock songs.
Seating is covered but outdoors. It was a cooler day so that was not a problem.
Ordered peel & eat shrimp and calamari. Both were good but the shrimp could have used a bit more seasoning. Husband's mixed drink somehow got spilled and waitress never even offered him a replacement, not even a cup of water.Vicki H.11/14/2016We stopped in here last night for dinner. There was a group of 5 of us. We started with the clams. They were really good. Then for dinner we all had something different but it was all good. The various items we ordered were The Cuban sandwich & hush puppies, the blackened grouper sandwich, the buffalo grouper sandwich, conch fritters and the soft shell crab. The only thing that I would say that wasn't the best were the hush puppies, They were a little overcooked. The Pina colada & strawberry daiquiri were really good too! We were getting eaten alive by no see ums so they offered us bug spray. Unfortunately that did not help. The waitress was really nice but food came out slow. I think they were short on staff. We plan on coming back in the cooler months so we can enjoy the atmosphere a bit more.Laura T.9/11/2016Famous landmark eating establishment .....setting at a the bar with an acceptable two guitar/singers...we shall see.... I was recommended the shrimp on a skewer her with coleslaw. The shrimp came from Bell fishmarket next door so it was super local and super fresh and outside I'll be back it was amazing. There were a lot of fan so it cool the food down pretty quicklyand that was a little difficult but beyond that I give it 4 1/2 stars.Paul B.8/14/2016
- Awesome food and drink specials. If your lucky enough to be there on a night Eric Von performs HOME RUN!Jerry K.7/08/2016One of our favorite places to go, a hidden treasure. I highly recommend the blackened grouper sandwich, and the cheese grits. Great live music too.Kathy O.2/25/2016Always come here for their grouper sandwich and atmosphere! Friendly employees and what can go wrong sitting on the deck watching the birds and fishing boats?Maggie McCullen S.2/23/2016Thank you, friends on Yelp! We took a Yelper recommendation and went to this fun restaurant, took another rec and ordered the seafood platter to split, and took a final recommendation to have the key lime pie. We loved the fishing village atmosphere, the friendly staff and service, and a delicious meal! They have real fresh seafood and a great homemade pie! We want to come back on a bright, sunny day to eat out on the pier!Carol V.2/06/2016What a cool little place! Don't let the looks fool you, step up and grab a table and be prepared to enjoy a wonderful evening! Staff was wonderful and served drinks and food promptly. The food was delicious. Tried the seafood platter and ordered it blackened which was a treat! To top off a great evening they had a nice local trio that covered everything from Bob Marley to the Bee Gees! I think the sign out front should read Welcome to the Cortez Kitchen, No Shoes, No Shirt, No Bra ... No Problem!!Rick C.1/01/2016A nice place very laid back I like the Hawaiian style. I had the Mahi Mahi sandwich and it was good. Located right near the fishing docs so the fish is fresh everyday and the beers cold. So depends on what you're looking for it's not fancy shmancy but its good food.Cliff K.12/03/2015Super Florida place. On the water by the fishing boats. The locals and the fishermen eat here and it is just like old tyme Florida before the condos came!Todd L.11/29/2015If the locals eat there, it must be good. Besides, they have this stuff coming right off the boat, right there! The service is good, the food is excellent and the beer is cold. Been coming here for the past 5 years and it's my first stop. a
The only drawback is that smoking is allowed, since it's all open, but the food makes up for it. The grouper is excellent!K. D.11/16/2015